[Diy_efi] Venturi effect crankcase breather

Adam Wade espresso_doppio at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 9 07:45:34 GMT 2003

--- Ne14RoxCJ at aol.com wrote:

> My visualization of this involves my coil-over
> Sway-Away shocks with their remote reservoirs. To
> reduce oil areation, we apply 120-150 psi of
> nitrogen to the piston of the reservoir.

Well, there's a really obvious flaw in that concept
(aside from the fact that it has very little to do
with engines).

A "standard" shock has a sealed container that is
partially filled with oil, and partially filled with
something else (some form of gas).  The reservoir
shock you are talking about has no gas of any sort in
the damping area; the gas is kept on the other side of
the piston, as you noted.

So it's apples and oranges here.  One has little to do
with the other, and you can't really say much about
the behavior of a crankcase based on either.

> My classes in fluid dynamics taught me this,

Taught you what?  Incorrect information obout the
construction of remote reservoir shocks?

> Hope this is helpful.

Well, it did clear up where you got the idea that
removing gas molecules from the vicinity of a liquid
would cause MORE of those molecules to enter the
liquid.  Think about what you're saying for a minute
there.  The illogic should be quickly apparent.

=====
| Adam Wade                       1990 Kwak Zephyr 550 (Daphne) |