[Diy_efi] Lucas Digital-P

joe bialy joedella at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 9 16:33:23 GMT 2003

My V-12 Jaguar has a Lucas 16CU Digital-P ECU. It is a NEC uPD78C10
processor with a 27C64 memory chip and a NEC 7004(whatever that is-
A/D?) tied into it. That processor has no internal ROM, so the 27C64
has all of the program as well as the maps stored on it. Other than
lacking idle control, it works very well with this motor.

The Lucas ECU does a very nice job of runing the car but it would be
nice to be able to tweak it when other mods are made to the car, like
larger TB's or exhaust or whatever. Rather than replacing the entire
ECU with a megasquirt or somesuch and recreating all of its I/O, I
would like to experiment with remapping the 27C64.

Can the three pin serial port (Txd, Rxd, SCK) on the 78C10 be used to
perform this, and if so, does anyone know how to talk to it?

I poked around gmecm last night looking for an eprom emulator to pop in
place of the 27C64 but did not find anything concrete. Has anyone ever
come up with a DIY eprom emulator or an eprom reader/programmer? It
would be neat to monitor and reprogram on the fly.

Joe

=====
Sanity is the playground for the unimaginative.