[Diy_efi] Venturi effect crankcase breather

Shannen at grolen.com Shannen at grolen.com
Fri Jul 11 13:15:02 GMT 2003

For one reason or another, negative crankcase pressure has been around
the racing "business" for many years.  Now the idea seems to be showing
up on the street.  This new market may bring positive experiences to
light or it may fuel a storm of BS like Teflon oil additives and split
electrode spark plugs.  I guess time will tell.

DI>My effort(s) were
DI>intended to show the shortcomings of the oem pcv system.  Keeping
DI>pressure out of the crankcase is important to ring (top ring) seal.

I'm not a student of ring design.  I do know that we have better designs
now than the basic square rings of the "old days."  While the old square
rings didn't have any features to take advantage of gas expansion or
pressure difference, new rings do.  It doesn't take long when playing
with a boosted car to realize that you are absolutely correct about the
importance of pressure difference across the rings.

DI>> Look for a post in the archives titled "wicked squeel" or somesuch
DI>> to see what happens to a GM engine when a substantial vacuum is
DI>> introduced in a tpi equipped v8.
DI>>
DI>Search turned up June 10 of this year, which is unavailable in archives.
DI>:shrug:

Sorry.  My bad.  The title is "Wicked Squeaks..."
http://www.diy-efi.org/diy_efi/archive/1997-September/msg00464.html

This guy did a lot of work in the process of looking for the cause of
the problem.

Shannen