[Diy_efi] Re: Diy_efi Digest, Vol 6, Issue 9

Carter Shore clshore at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 7 19:44:33 GMT 2003

On Sat, 7 Jun 2003 14:02:24 -0400 Mr Motor wrote:

>one thing i'm not sure about is if this is going to
>work for what i want it to do. Do you know how IAT
>sensors actually work? electrically?
>it says in this link that "Examples of low level
>signals that are not suitable are directly connected
>thermocouples, thermistors, RTDs, strain gages or
>strain gage-based transducers."

Typical auto IAT temp sensors use a simple biased
thermistor circuit which outputs a fairly low
impedance voltage signal in the range of 0-5V.
ISTR the signal range of the WinDAC is -10V to +10V,
so you ought to be OK, but it will not read in
degrees. There are conversion charts for various
sensors out on the net. If it's a Ford unit, there's a
chart in Probst's EEC-IV book p.85, also in some Ford
Factory service manuals. Or get a thermometer and a
kitchen oven, and calibrate it on your own.

I think the WinDAQ software is really first class,
especially at the price; 4 channels of digital
record/playback, filter, trigger, zoom, scale, etc.
If you go through the whole tutorial on the CD, you
can appreciate the full capability. Might even be
online by now.

For example, attach a linear position sensor to each
wheel's suspension, then you get a full picture of
what the chassis is doing.

Carter Shore