UPDATE Re: Re: [Diy_efi] Question relating to old

Brian Dessent brian at dessent.net
Tue Jun 10 05:00:03 GMT 2003

Mr Motor wrote:

> Wow, this is cool :)
>
> I was reading the dataq 194 manual and i can calibrate whatever
> signal i am datalogging and display it as whatever unit i
> decide
>
> basically you set the voltage level (low/high), the correlating
> values, and the unit of measurement
>
> so i'd put in 0 volt for low, 5 volt for high and then use the
> multi-meter and a thermometer to determine a few points along
> the curve and enter the temp for 5 volt, and then put in the
> measurement as F*.

You can try that, but there are two things to remember: first the
thermistor is a NTC type, so the voltage will decrease with
temperature.  Second, it's not going to be exactly linear.  How you want
to handle it depends on how accurate you want to be.

The thermistor itself has a very nonlinear resistance vs. temperature
curve.  It can be modeled as:

1/T = A + B*ln(R) + C*ln^3(R)

where A, B, and C are constants that depend on the particular
thermistor.  You can see a sample graph in shop manuals.  There's also
some data on the www.diy-efi.org server.  I did a curve fit of the GM
data, and I get the following values (note that T has units Kelvin which
is C+273.15):

A = 1.476E-03   B = 2.299E-04   C = 1.069E-07

Anyway, putting the thermistor into a resitive divider tends to
counteract the nonlinearity, at least if you stay away from the extremes
near 0V and 5V.  If Rp is the pullup resistor to +5V and R is the
resistance of the thermistor, the voltage at the divider (the point
where the two resistors connect) is:

V = 5/(1 + Rp/R)

So, with those two equations you can graph the theoretical temperature
vs. volts curve.  (BTW, the first equation solved for R is here:
<http://www.betatherm.com/thermistortheory/steinequas.htm>)  If you look
at the graph, it's kind of linear at the center area, but it has sort of
an S-shape, so that near the outer extremes it becomes more sloped.

For kicks I played around with this in Excel, I'll paste the data below
in case it's helpful to anyone... Assuming a pullup resistor of 2.49k,
and the curve-fit coefficients from the GM sensor:

temp:   R:      Voltage:
250	96	0.186
245	104	0.200
240	112	0.216