[Diy_efi] Re: ION sensing question

Phil Hunter diy-efi-d at t-n-e.com
Mon Jun 16 21:28:51 GMT 2003

Peter wrote:

> ... Does anyone know if ION sensing can be used to determine
> mixture ?
Yes it can, it's in the "slope" of the flame phase ion signal.

http://www.ce.chalmers.se/staff/micke/itsc97.pdf

Bevan wrote:

> ... Detecting the peak pressure is quite easy, because it's the
> point with the greatest ION concentration and hence the highest
> sense current.
There are 2 overlapping phases, the flame phase followed by the
pressure phase. The flame phase is probably as you describe the
chemical reactions, I'm no expert, the signal from the pressure
phase comes from Nitrogen & Oxygen ionization and it is smaller
than the flame phase signal. http://www.hut.fi/~vvartiov/ion/ion.html

Brian wrote:

> Oh, I would dearly love to cobble up a DIY ION system.  I studied
> a lot of Garfields posts, and may have enough bits to start a
> working thought model.

Check out Ville's info in the URL above and in the archives, much
more KISS & DIY than Gar.

There is also something called MegaJolt that has it's own email
list, you can find it from the Megasquirt web site.

> **If I were to have it my way**, I would want it to be some sort
> of module that I could put inline on the spark plug wire.  Don't
> really know if that's possible though.

It's certainly doable.

Just noticed that the 2000 Isuzu Rodeo w/ a V6 had a service
bulletin of some kind for their ion ignition, perhaps something
in that system could be used or adapted.

rgds,
philh
(digest)