[Diy_efi] CMOS Levels

Jeffrey Engel jengeltx at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 18 13:55:40 GMT 2003

Bruce,

We're getting off into the weeds here.  The original
RCA 1800-series chips did have an odd set of logic
levels.  I believe Larry Ing's assertion that the
thresholds were 10 and 70 percent is correct for the
chips in question.

The HC and the HCT series chips have the thesholds you
describe.

I suggested using HC or HCT logic to drive the 1843
because TTL doesn't (via specs) meet the higher '1'
threshold the 1800-series CMOS needs, while the HC or
HCT has rail-to-rail output and meets those specs
easily.  It turns out that lightly-loaded TTL _will_
meet the higher '1' threshold, so my suggestion turned
out to be more superstition than fact.  Sorry.

Jeff Engel