[Diy_efi] Electronic expertise requested

Daniel R. Nicoson A6intruder at adelphia.net
Wed Jun 18 20:55:11 GMT 2003

When it comes to electronics my expertise borders on "Good ground, bad
ground".  I was hoping some of you that actually know this stuff would lend
your thoughts.

Can one set of injectors be hooked to the two engine computers(Ford EEC-IV's
in this case) at the same time if only one EEC is powered at any time?  The
point would be that if one computer fails, flip the switch and the second
computer powers up and runs the injectors.  My intention would be to have a
backup EEC much like many race cars use a backup ignition system.

If the powered computer fires the injector, would that bother the computer
that is off?

I currently tune my 1994 Mustang with an EEC tuner.  I feel the Ford stuff
is very reliable but am not as confident of the EEC Tuner when reliability
comes into play.  The application in mind is not a car but a situation where
dual electrical systems are not unheard of.  I would be striving for a very
reliable system with as few relays and other failure points as possible.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks,

Dan Nicoson