[Diy_efi] injector current-feedback driver

Mark Bowers & Family mbalntel at cfw.com
Sun Mar 2 23:48:00 GMT 2003

> im still a bit confused here. the injector is just a seleniod. not
different
> then a large DC motor. the only reason there are p/h drivers is to ensure
> enough gate voltage to get the injector open. this is sort of s silly
topic.
> the load schemes you see from the driver are on/off the current useage is
all
> in teh injector.

I'll admit that I am still coming up a long learning curve on EFI, so any
help in teaching me the details and why's and why-not's is appreciated. I
did circuit design for years, and know that part well, but still need to
know why certain impementations are desired in EFI. Someone explained to me
that P&H is used to have full drive capability to the injector at turn-on to
makes sure it opens fast, and then the drive is reduced (as the injector
needs lower current to hold), and the lower current in the hold state allows
faster injector turn-off.  The PWM drive scheme appears to be a compromise
between saturated and P&H drive.

I am not up to speed on EFI enough to know how critical these things are.
Any guidance and education is appreciated! (Hey, I can design you a circuit
that will turn on your injectors in < 1 microsecond, but I doubt it needs to
be that fast for EFI !! And all the extra HP would be used to carry the
weight of the driver around and run the associated forced air cooling
system.....)

Regards,
Mark B.