[Diy_efi] coil (-) tach signal conditioning

Alexei Pavlov alexis.pavlov at st.com
Tue Mar 4 18:48:24 GMT 2003

dennis.noordsij at wiral.com wrote:

> > Hi Dennis,
> >
> > Tell us more about your project please.
> > Do you plan to control ignition too ?
> > pressure/speed or AF/speed ?
> > What is the engine (displacement, cyl num, mono/multiport injection,
> > etc ...) ?
> > What PIC freq ? How much acquisitions per revolution ?
> > Are PIC periphs enough for all planned tasks ?
> >
> > Thank you,
> > Alexei
>
> Hi Alexei,
>
> Well, why not :-)
>
> Ignition is something which might be tackled as a next step if the project
> indeed does work, but right now is not part of it. So stock ignition.
>
> Speed density setup, target engine (at first anyway) is a 3.7 litre 4 banger,
> rated at 170HP (or 190HP with bigger carb), marine engine. The carb will be
> replaced with a GM throttle body injector unit, not sure what car it came
> from, but it has 2 55lbs/hr injectors, peak-hold, which turns out to be quite
> an excellent match to the engine (on paper anyway :-). Sensors will be mostly
> GM.

Looks pretty well :-)
Do you have to meet pollution requirements ?
What is the RPM range ?
How do you plan to map the fuel map ?
Do you plan to use an oxygen sensor ?

Personally I don't appreciate much PIC controller, except their price.
The problem that I meat with them was the difficulty to adjust timer
frequencies when using the core at high freqs (40 Mhz), there were not
enough prescaling stages.
As I work at STMicroelectronics I switched to ST7 (HC05 clone) :-)

Regards,
Alexei