[Diy_efi] P/H hammer driver circuits

Greg Hermann bearbvd at mindspring.com
Sun Mar 9 15:23:43 GMT 2003

At 6:37 AM 3/9/03, Carter Shore wrote:
>Well,
>I can at least contribute the name and model of a
>printer that implemented a capacitive voltage doubler
>to drive the printhead. Maybe someone knows or can
>find a schematic (attn Swedish correspondents!):
>
>DataSaab/Ericsson 5808-x document printer
>
>It was used in banking/financial applications.
>
>The circuit charged a cap, then switched +V and the
>cap is series to the coil at firing time. It was an
>all analog setup that used an extra power transistor,
>a couple of diodes, the cap, and few other RC
>components, triggered by TTL logic signal.
>
>Delivering a slug of current from a +24V source at
>turn on time would sure get the ole' pintle off it's
>seat quickly.
>
>Or, you could build an auxillary +24V (or 36V,
>etc)dedicated source with a DC/DC converter, and then
>switch the Peak pulse from it, the Hold from +12V.
>
>Carter

This is along the lines of what Bob described to me a few years ago--except
that he said the peak source was more like 230 Vdc  in the latest
generation, with the application time for the "peak" down into the u-sec
range !!

I would guess the limitation is mechanical--we wouldn't want the pintle to
come flying out the other end of the injector, would we ?? :-)

Greg