[Diy_efi] new EFI controller

Bevan Weiss kaizen__ at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 11 03:50:00 GMT 2003

> > Injection:
> > Nothing fancy that I can think of.  I'd really like to keep this part
> simple
> > as, I don't really want anything like a DC-DC converter, I'd prefer to
> > obtain any high voltage from the actual field collapse, and then use
this
> > energy to jump start the field back up again with the next injection
> pulse.
> >
> At first blush, I can't clearly see that this will work. Only a small
> percentage of the energy put into an injector coil fro opening and holding
> actually ends up in the magnetic field, the rest is wasted in heat in the
> driver or coil resistance. That vast majority of energy per injection
pulse
> is not avialable for the next injection pulse. So, an external circuit is
> needed if you want higher than 12 VDC nominal to drive the injectors.
>
> OBTW, if you could do what you suggested, you would be darned close to a
> perpetual motion machine....

It's nothing like perpetual motion...
All the energy that you put into the windings to establish the magnetic
field is available when you stop the current flow and hence destroy the
magnetic field.  This is where the energy comes from for the large voltage
spikes that occur when you shut off the current.  Energy is expended in
maintaining the current flow (I^2*R losses) as well as moving the pintle a
very small distance (F*d).  However as previously stated, the energy put
into establishing the magnetic field is available again (with only minor
losses), and this would then be perfect for quickly opening the injector on
the next cycle.