[Diy_efi] new EFI controller

Henning Baldersheim balder at captech.no
Tue Mar 11 06:20:04 GMT 2003

At 21:58 3/10/2003 -0800, you wrote:
>On Tue, Mar 11, 2003 at 06:48:30PM +1300, Bevan Weiss wrote:
> > I don't think I'd want to run a full fledged linux kernel on it, especially
> > with the added execution cost of real time scheduling.
>
>I wouldn't run the *entire* kernel on it.  I'd strip it down to the IO, VM,
>and scheduler.  The upside is there are already tools for the PPC and you
>could write an emulator which allows you to develop the software on Linux.

I considered linux too. That was my first choice. I chose ecos, beacuse it
is much more scalable and has real real-time abilities.
Linux also wants a mmu that the mpc555/565 lack.
It would not scale down as well.
And there where no port in progress or planned anywhere.
The inquires I made all pointed either to ecos or rtems.

>The kernel would provide IRQ distribution, serial IO, and IO to onboard
>devices
>via drivers.  The major upside is that you don't end up writing your own
>multitasking kernel for the ECU, and a lot of the basic management is handled
>for you.
>
> > I agree that the cost of the MPC565 isn't ideal, especially in low volumes.
> > However the level on integration removes any extra costs that would
> > otherwise be required.  All that's really left for the hardware design is
> > connecting up some filtering components and some protection for the inputs.
> > Outputs just require the driver hardware to be sorted, which shouldn't cost
> > much.  It should easily come in under $500 for the entire unit.
>
>Maybe.  From what I've seen, the more expensive and complex a chip is, the
>more
>support hardware and special board routing is required.  Not to mention a lot
>of startup code just to get the thing to the point of talking to the outside.

ECOS comes with flash support, clock and support for both serial ports. It
was not to hard to port it to the phytec board, as it had already been put
onto a couple of other boards.