[Diy_efi] Re: Minimalist micro based EFI ?

Mos mos at sydney.net
Tue Mar 11 15:52:06 GMT 2003

On Tue, 11 Mar 2003, Mike wrote:

> So clearly the sensor is chosen for the range and the a/d resolution
> is chosen under some other metric, other than the difference in
> vintage between the 2 samples above, is there a compelling reason
> the 5.7L V8 *needs* higher resolution if emissions is not an issue,

That entirely depends on what you want to do.
It doesn't need *higher* resolution, but to maintain the *same* resolution
it will need more bits (yes, using resolution in a different context).
If you pass three times as much air, with the same number of bits, you'll
get 1/3 of the resolution, not the same resolution.

Therefore your attempts at getting decent afr across the power range has
just been made 3 times harder - emmissions are one issue, another is
power, drivability, etc.. If the latter two are not critical, then ur
right, u wont need more bits.

I don't know if the V8 would have more bits, but the way I see it, to be
as precise as the RB30, it will *need* more bits.

>From a design perspective, wouldn't you think deciding the fueling
precision will constrain how many bits you will need? Conversly, choosing
the number of bits will constrain your fueling precision.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that you don't wanna go backwards :)

Mos.

--
84 AE86, 90 ST185GrpA, 91 MX83Gr, Sydney, Oz.