[Diy_efi] efi conversion

Tlsalt at aol.com Tlsalt at aol.com
Sun Mar 16 14:42:10 GMT 2003

Gene Holtzclaw wrote,

I have just joined this list to gather info on converting to EFI. I have a
2.5 litre Triumph(TR6). I also have a Lucas PI unit. Other than having
mutiple butterflies as a negative, what would be advice as to where to start
in gathering needed parts to convert to EFI? I have found that the GM 4.3
litre injectors will fit the Lucas bodies with very little modification. I
would like to convert with the hope of adding a turbo after getting my
conversion worked out. My goal is to keep the under hood look as original as
possibe.

Hello Gene,

You first need to decide what ECU to use for your conversion.  I would use a
MAP based system with that manifold on a road car.  You will probably have to
build a small plenum and hook it up to each runner after the throttle plates
to get a stable signal for the MAP. Most aftermarket ECU's can use GM sensors
and you'll need a coolant temperature sensor, air temperature sensor, TPS and
MAP.  The small Ford TPS can be adapted to many throttle shafts, it fits
right on a Jaguar TB. There are two different models with different rotation
directions. What size are those injectors (are they 0280150221)? I have a
list, if they have numbers on them. The injectors should be sized to the HP
of the engine, which will change if you are considering a turbo.  That engine
is around 150HP, so you will need around 15 lb/hr NA and maybe 24-26lb/hr
with a turbo. You will also need to change MAP sensors when going to a turbo.
Most of the common EFI injectors have similar sized orings. Is there an
insulator in your manifold or are you planning on running the injectors
directly in the metal? You will need to make up a fuel rail to hold down the
injectors. On a straight six it is best to feed the rail from both ends and
take the pressure regulator feed from the middle. You can also go with hose
barb injectors and connect to the rail with fuel hose.

Paul