[Diy_efi] Introduction, plus a question about map strategies

Jason Erickson jerickson at nrgtech.com
Mon Mar 17 02:20:39 GMT 2003

Hi,

I would like to introduce myself to this list and ask a question. My name is
Jason Erickson, I am a recent graduate in mechanical engineering currently
working in R and D on alternative fueled vehicles. My experience thus far
has been with gaseous fuels namely CNG and H2.

I have interests in this list both for work and my own projects including a
1987 Lincoln Mark VII LSC (I would like to start with a MAF conversion, A9L
ECU, then get more radical from there...Hint: I love the sound of
superchargers) A 1963 Chevrolet Corvair (given to me by my dad, still
haven't figured out what to do with this but I am currently rebuilding the
engine and thinking about converting to EFI using a spare electromotive ECU)
and finally a 1972 MG midget (I would like to restore this one and use it
for an economy car, especially if gas prices keep going up).

Anyway, now for a question.  I wanted to hear everyone's opinions on
different mapping strategies for an Engine using a MoTeC M800. What
advantages/disadvantages can you see with mapping the engine on a Dyno using
MAP, MAP/EMAP or MAP/BAP? How would each strategy compare with changing
altitudes? What if the engine is turbo/super charged?

Thanks,
Jason