[Diy_efi] timeframe to get equal fuel distribution

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Wed Mar 19 01:16:10 GMT 2003

On Tue, Mar 18, 2003 at 08:04:24AM +1200, Bevan Weiss wrote:
> > > 150bhp isn't that bad, though it certainly doesn't match some
> > > of the WRX's that are being released at the moment.  Crazy
> > > amounts of power to just be giving to people, like 330bhp...
> > > and they're becoming so common.

> > Don't look at the power but rather at the torque.
> > As a member of this list you must know that there is a little
> > difference between these two measures, and that hp is
> > unimportant in the same way as processor frequency is to
> > estimate its computing power.
> > A4 is a 1300 kg car, 150bhp are sufficient to travel at 200km/h.

> 1300kg is quite a chunky car in my books, my 200bhp is 1372kg.
> 200km/h also isn't that fast, certainly fast enough for a round
> towner, but you can get much faster...

There's a good reason why the engine produces only 150bhp... It
starts with a "T" and ends in an "X". It's a three-letter word.

> GDI is the way of the future (at the moment) no denying it,
> however at the moment it's being pushed on the economy cars.  The
> performance vehicles seem to still be using sequential injection.
> This may be due to the difficulties in optimising fuel
> distribution over such diverse engine conditions, ie from idle(&no
> load) to 9000rpm(full WOT)

Nit-Pick: idle is NOT no-load. Idle may require as much power as
cruising at 60kmh.

> It's not very interesting to look at a manufacturers torque
> specifications, as they only list the peak torque value, and the
> rpm that it was measured at.  It tells you very little about the
> actual performance of the car.

I'm uploading some official information to my web site at
	http://bernd.felsche.org/tech/EFI/A4/

Compare the FSI torque curve to that of the low-blow turbo's.
Apologies for the crap conversion of word documents to HTML.
I hate it when people insist on using Word, yet use it like a f'ing
typewriter.