[Diy_efi] SUCCESS! (was Re: LED changes brightness)

Philip V. Glazatov gphilip at umich.edu
Wed Mar 19 04:25:17 GMT 2003

Bruce, you are THE MAN!

I took one of those small yellow 0.1 mfd caps (C8, 9, 13, 14) and connected
it to D5. First I connected it wrong. I connected it to pin 2 and the pin
that is closer to the LED. It still worked! The LED stopped blinking and
started shining constantly and MUCH brighter. Then I reconnected the cap
correctly to pins 1 and 3 and it still worked just as well. The cap by
itself solved 99% of the problem!

Then I shorted the R4 and the LED blinded me!!! So I am now typing to you
blind. :-)

I did some other tests that you asked for. The voltage drop across R4 was
1.32 V in the beginning. It started slowly dropping to about 1.16 after the
LED came on. After it settled I checked the voltage across J3 and J4 and it
was 13.42 V. I went and checked the voltage at the battery (the alternator
is kinda hard to reach) and it was 14.32 V. Even with that good and healthy
voltage my LED was still barely glowing and blinking periodically.

So should I now just solder that capacitor across D5? Could that change the
WB calibration?

I would also like to implement you other fix that eliminates R4 so that I
am less dependent on voltage. I also need to know what tests to do to make
sure that I do not have too much or too little current going to the sensor
heater. But I guess that might never bother me again.

Thank you very much for finding the problem and a solution. You could fax
me a scheme (708-585-3470) and I will post it for others to see.

Philip