[Diy_efi] Knock sensor for Olds

Bevan Weiss kaizen__ at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 17 02:52:46 GMT 2003

> >From the archives of the Olds 350 DIY_EFI project...
> With nothing better to do one night, I was looking up the part numbers to
> knock sensors. Two applications: 1988 custom cruiser 307, 1990 camaro 305
> TPI. They came up with the same part number!
> So... this made me formulate a theory that the knock sensor is specific to
> the engine displacement only...leading me to assume that a Chevy 350 knock
> sensor will also do well for an Olds 350. Does this hold any water????
> Chris

The engines have to be similar enough to allow the knock sensor output to be
acceptable.
It's not just the displacement of the engines, but tons of other little
peculiarities.  If the metal used in construction is different then a
different knock sensor system would be needed, or if the engine design is
different in some way, ie twin CAM/single CAM etc... quite a few different
parameters.  And even then it's mostly just trial and error (and then some
attempt to bang the sensor output into shape).  The most important thing to
keep in mind is that the sensor is acoustic... so anything that will change
the 'noise' of the engine will affect the operation of the knock sensor.