[Diy_efi] Leaky fuel rail fiasco

Ludis Langens ludis at cruzers.com
Mon Aug 2 10:38:35 GMT 2004

J Creech wrote:

> I submit that, while fuel rail stock is *indeed* expensive, it pales compared to the cost of burning
> down even the most bargain-basement of projects (both monetarily and through sheer aggravation and
> anguish).

Check out these pictures:

http://www.cruzers.com/~ludis/InjectorsA.jpg
http://www.cruzers.com/~ludis/InjectorsB.jpg
http://www.cruzers.com/~ludis/Injector6.jpg
http://www.cruzers.com/~ludis/Injector7A.jpg
http://www.cruzers.com/~ludis/Injector7B.jpg

The engine these injectors were on developed a plugged cat.  This caused
the smog pump check valves to fail.  This allowed hot exhaust into the
rubber smog pump hoses.  This burned one of the hoses until it fell off
the check valve.  Hot exhaust was then directed right at the #7
injector, and at #6 beyond that.  I believe that the top O-ring of #7
started leaking...

BTW, the astute observer of part numbers and color codes may notice that
three injectors are 14# and five are 24#.  I believe that the fault
happened twice, taking out injectors #5, #6, and #7 the first time, and
that the mechanic didn't install the good injectors in their original positions.