[Diy_efi] Leaky fuel rail fiasco

sc7500 sc7500 at sonic.net
Wed Aug 4 00:44:41 GMT 2004

> Do you have any photos of your setup? I'm very interested in hearing how
> exactly to set this system up, especially provided that the top mounts only
> have one outlet, thus requiring a tee attached to it? What kind of hose did
> you use, and is it possible to get hoses with NPT fittings on it in that
> short a size (what, 2-3 inches??) ?

Chris;

No photos yet - but if you've ever seen an injected race engine, you'll
get the idea pretty quickly.

All 8 injector lines come into a single distribution block, and average
8 - 10" in length, depending upon the distance from injector to block;
there is a main inlet line from the pump and (obviously) a pressure
regulated return line back to the tank. No tees involved - each line is
charged at the same pressure from the distrib block, all line pressure
is controlled by the regulator out the back of the block.

It's a very clean setup - I'm using it with a standard Hilborn 180A pump
[we presently run injected alky through a vintage Crower "calliope"
staggered stack injector. I'm still saving for the 150 lb. EF injectors
(@ $175.00 each) we need!] at 45 psi on startup, using the existing idle
bypass, and then ramping up above 3500 RPM to 75 psi, eventually
operating above 7500 rpm.

A basic high speed primary by pass "pill" arrangement jetted to allow 75
psi handles the extra pressure back to the tank - we'll prime it with
the old gasoline "drip" injectors, using unleaded Super and a Holley
pump jacked up to 18 psi, and fed thru the extra set of "above the
butterfly" injector port nozzle holes.  This will get the thing fired
and warm, then the Hilborn pump lever gets pulled open {shutting off the
Holley pump} and the alky starts to flow. Easy.

As in the earlier post, use Hilborn or Kinsler's injector hose. Their
rubber hoses with NPT ends will work best since I can only guess at the
lengths required to bend up custom stainless lines and the cost thereof.
Their rubber lines come in many standard lengths, are designed to handle
500 psi, and with decent care should last for years on the street.

If you contact either manufacturer, they will send you a catalog with
exactly the illustrations you need !

Best
--
BTC

PS - for photos of our car in its present [non EFI] variation, please
visit my website at: www.sonic.net/~sc7500 and look for the test bed
information link on the left.