[Diy_efi] injector advance

Adam Wade espresso_doppio at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 5 17:46:30 GMT 2004

--- Bevan Weiss <kaizen__ at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I think that you should time everything off the cam.
> It makes much more sense.  You have a cam sensor I
> assume...

Only problem being the cam sensor is a single tooth
Hall-efect unit which is used for engine phase, rather
than crank angle, measurements by the stock ECU.
Combine that with some chain snatch from the cam
chain, and you have an invitation for trouble in
trying to use the cam sensor signal for precise timing
events.

> Droplets of fuel are indeed atomized when contacting
> the hot inlet valve, which allows for slightly more
> fuel mixture to enter the cylinder.

Much more importantly, it makes the mixture much more
homogeneous, making for more reliable and powerful
combustion, with less chance of both misfire and
detonation.

> It's preferred to inject directly into the cylinder
> however as that guarantees that all you inject will
> enter the cylinder.

First off, it doesn't guarantee that the fuel will be
trapped in the cylinder.  Second, it's close to
impossible to inject via the intake runner and miss
the intake valve, instead hitting the piston crown.
Lastly, every major manufacturer I know of using port
injection (all motorcycle apps using it) inject onto
the back of the intake valve.  Do you know sometihng
the OEs don't?