[Diy_efi] injector advance

Gary gas- at charter.net
Thu Aug 5 19:59:04 GMT 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Adam Wade" <espresso_doppio at yahoo.com>
To: "A list for Do-It-Yourself EFI" <diy_efi at diy-efi.org>
Sent: Thursday, August 05, 2004 1:42 PM
Subject: Re: [Diy_efi] injector advance

> --- Gary <gas- at charter.net> wrote:
>
> >> It depends on the number of cylinders you have, as
> >> fewer cylinders means a higher rev "limit" before
> >> performance becomes the same in all circumstances.
>
> > Maybe me, but I fail to understand this
> > statement/reasoning.   Please elaborate.
>
> Injector timing becomes less critical as revs rise,
> due to the decreasing window for "perfect" injector
> timing and limits based on the fuel pressure and flow
> rate of the injector, as well as improved fuel
> vaporization at higher revs, and less heat loss from
> the compressed mixture to the combustion chamber
> walls.
>
> The more cylinders you have, the more injector events
> you have in batch fire mode.  While you may have to
> run richer using batch fire, and idle quality will be
> reduced, you're more likely to get more of the fuel
> you want into each cylinder when you have more
> discrete injector events per 720 degree engine cycle
> at low engine speeds.

OK, I understand now.  We went from discussing sequential,
to discussing a (as originally designed) batch firing setup.

> So, it would be more difficult to get a reliable and consistent
> mixture with fewer cylinders in batch fire mode and thus the
> crossover point where batch and sequential have no practical
> difference in terms of power and drivability will occur at a
> higher engine speed as you have fewer cylinders.

Even for batch setup, don't understand the affect having fewer
cylinders has on injector firing, how that compares to both, as
well as a difference occuring at a higher rpm..  :shrug: