[Diy_efi] injector advance

Bevan Weiss kaizen__ at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 5 20:25:21 GMT 2004

> > It's preferred to inject directly into the cylinder however as
> > that guarantees that all you inject will enter the cylinder.
>
> First off, it doesn't guarantee that the fuel will be trapped
> in the cylinder.  Second, it's close to impossible to inject
> via the intake runner and miss the intake valve, instead
> hitting the piston crown.
> Lastly, every major manufacturer I know of using port
> injection (all motorcycle apps using it) inject onto the back
> of the intake valve.  Do you know sometihng the OEs don't?

I don't know something the OE's don't.  The OE's are well aware that
injecting straight into the cylinder is the preferred way of doing it.  GDI
is the newest technology that proves this...  It's been preferred in diesel
engines for a much longer time now. :P

There are of course issues with it using standard injectors, ie cylinder
flushing etc due to non-ideal atomization.  Many manufacturers still use
saturated injectors despite the increased performance of peak and hold type.

It's simply a matter of cost.  Good injectors cost good money.  If an OE can
do something cheaper they will.  Hell, they do it even if it's obvious they
shouldn't and it endangers lives.  I don't think OE's are the know all and
end all...

The only reason some have converted to P&H injectors and sequential
injection was to meet emissions... Otherwise they would have never changed.
After all it was cheaper before hand.