[Diy_efi] injector advance

Adam Wade espresso_doppio at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 7 21:59:26 GMT 2004

--- Greg Hermann <bearbvd at mindspring.com> wrote:

> When you graduate to a modocum of understanding of
> how alky fuels and/or water injection work, the
> point becomes even MORE significant !!

It's spelled "modicum".

Yes, alcohol cools during intake, but several orders
of magnitude more (between the greatly increased
volume of fuel being delivered, and the lower heat of
vaporization) than gasoline ever can or will, so it's
not relevant to the conversation WRT gasoline.  And
water injection does not cool in the intake charge; to
the sontrary, since water expands so greatly during
vaporization, I believe the trapped volume being
compressed actually ends up HOTTER due to the higher
combustion chamber pressure before ignition.  Water,
even in vapor form, greatly slows the burn rate of the
mixture, allowing higher boost without detonation.
This is even LESS topical to the conversation, since
cooling is, as I understand it, not a factor here.