[Diy_efi] injector advance

Greg Hermann bearbvd at mindspring.com
Sun Aug 8 04:20:32 GMT 2004

At 2:48 PM 8/7/04, Adam Wade wrote:
>--- Greg Hermann <bearbvd at mindspring.com> wrote:
>
>> When you graduate to a modocum of understanding of
>> how alky fuels and/or water injection work, the
>> point becomes even MORE significant !!
>
>It's spelled "modicum".
>
>Yes, alcohol cools during intake, but several orders
>of magnitude more (between the greatly increased
>volume of fuel being delivered, and the lower heat of
>vaporization) than gasoline ever can or will, so it's
>not relevant to the conversation WRT gasoline.  And
>water injection does not cool in the intake charge; to
>the sontrary,

It's spelled 'contrary', unless you have a new word here. At least the 'i'
is next to the 'o'--I have an excuse !!

 since water expands so greatly during
>vaporization, I believe the trapped volume being
>compressed actually ends up HOTTER due to the higher
>combustion chamber pressure before ignition.

What you say you believe has no relationship to the
thermodynamic/psychrometric reality in this case. Get out the steam tables
and calculate what happens, rather than stating a religious belief !!

  Water,
>even in vapor form, greatly slows the burn rate of the
>mixture, allowing higher boost without detonation.

Funny--Irwin Glassman disagrees with you, quite diametrically !!! Since he
is the one with the doctorate and professor's chair at Princeton, and also
wrote 'Combustion', I think I'll stick with his views.

>This is even LESS topical to the conversation, since
>cooling is, as I understand it, not a factor here.

Gee, yep, let's restrict and narrow the discussion whenever it puzzles us
or, simply goes right over our heads.

Greg