[Diy_efi] injector advance

Bevan Weiss kaizen__ at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 8 05:01:28 GMT 2004

I'd argue that improved power will come with more research into GDI.  Once
piston designs are optimised to provide the best fuel distribution in the
cylinder, then power increases can be realised through a stratified
distribution.  Only have the fuel stoich where it has to be (to prevent
pre-ignition but allow combustion) and lean elsewhere to avoid cooling the
flame front.  This will provide greater peak pressure (and smoothly) which
will provide improved power.  Changing the volume of the stoich mixture will
allow more precise control of the power and hence improved driveability.

Best repair record... I'm not so sure on that...
Are you talking about time between services, or cost of repair.
I think that time between services could increase, better fueling would see
the stresses on the combustion components spread out more evenly, and
stresses applied more appropriately to those parts that are designed to
handle them.

As for cost of repair, well I think that's going to increase.  But that's
not much of a change.  Back in the model T ford days you would never have to
consider replacing an ECU. Or wiring harness.  Have you priced either of
these parts from the dealers??
It's quite often cheaper to buy a second hand car than it is to replace an
ECU.
I have always been led to believe that most semiconductors were made out of
crystal Si (silicon)... It comes as a shock to learn that ECU's are made
from crystal C (carbon)...
Surely they have to be going by how much the dealers charge for them.