[Diy_efi] injector advance

Adam Wade espresso_doppio at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 9 20:07:54 GMT 2004

--- Bevan Weiss <kaizen__ at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I'd argue that improved power will come with more
> research into GDI.

I'm not sure I agree with that.  Stratified charge
lowers consumption and emissions, but does so at the
expense of power.  I don't think there's any real way
around packing as much oxygen as possible in the
combustion chamber and then providing the most
homogenous possible mixture where there is sufficient
fuel to allow the combustion of as close to all the
available oxygen as possible.

> Best repair record... I'm not so sure on that...
> Are you talking about time between services, or cost
> of repair.

Since both taken together end up being lifetime costs
to the consumer, I'd say both.  Keep in mind that the
technology is much more complex, and the current
high-end systems are fragile (check out Bosch's
reportage of their own system, where they say they
cannot fuel more than 4 cylinders right now because
the injector driver units fail when you put too many
individual units into one box).

> I think that time between services could increase,
> better fueling would see the stresses on the
> combustion components spread out more evenly,

Well, peak pressure pulse is peak pressure pulse.  And
it's not combustion that "wears out" engine
components, with the possible excption of some of the
wear to the rings.

> I have always been led to believe that most
> semiconductors were made out of crystal Si
> (silicon)... It comes as a shock to learn that
> ECU's are made from crystal C (carbon)...

That's not my information, if you are talking about
the circuitry.  Could you cite a source?