[Diy_efi] Injector angle

Greg Hermann bearbvd at mindspring.com
Mon Aug 16 13:42:51 GMT 2004

At 10:44 PM 8/16/04, Andrew J. Hopton wrote:
>You want to squirt the fuel right in to the back of the valve, if you can.
>However, this is probably impossible for your setup - in which case you
>want to squirt the fuel as far as possible, towards the valve.  It is
>probably also a good idea to get as much angle (away from straight up &
>down) as you can, to keep the bulk of the spray pattern in the centre of
>the port cross-section (where the fastest/greatest airflow will be) to aid
>atomisation.  If none of this can be satisfactorily achieved, try
>determining where the hottest spot is that you CAN hit, as heat will help
>vaporise the fuel, airflow will do the rest...

The FE has fairly tall portsand they are short (at least in the head).
But--they do have a rather pronounced turn, and you can't really mount the
injectors right next to the manifold/head joint--as this would put them
under the valve covers ! I am thinking that a little bit of angle to one
side (as well as off of vertical) would help a bunch, but this would force
you into connecting the injectors with flex line rather than more
conventional straight fuel rails---

Greg