[Diy_efi] Slow decay on idle on startup

David M. Ingebretsen dingebre at 3dphysics.net
Mon Aug 16 22:16:08 GMT 2004

AMC 258 inline 6 (1990 Jeep Wrangler)
1227747 ECU (Howell kit)
Baseline EPROM is the ATKX stock

I have studied the online documentation and tips at the DIY-EFI site as well as
the book from Custom EFIS, the calibration help from TUNER CATS software.

On startup, the idle is very high ~1500 RPM, and the IAC is retracted about 60
steps or more. The idle does not drop to normal levels unless I come to a
complete stop for about 30 seconds after driving for about a minute or so. The
engine does not have to be hot or even warm I just have to drive for a bit then
come to a complete stop.

I have adjusted the O/L idle on/off RPM, the IAC v. temp tables, the IAC
kickdown delay timer and kickdown steps, min temp for closed loop, and other
timers to no real effect. The paper describing the IAC operation was a good
resource but didn't give me any better clues.

What is causing the high idle and why won't it decay until I stop dead for
about 30 seconds?
Bye,

David

David M. Ingebretsen, M.S., M.E.
Collision Forensics and Engineering, Inc.
2469 Fort Union Boulevard, Suite 114
Salt Lake City, Ut 84121

(801) 733-5458