[Diy_efi] GM TBI electrical details

Jim Butterfield jimbutterfield at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 16 14:17:34 GMT 2004

--===============068353371396762341==

--0-1979479531-1103206445=:95778

Will thats a awesome answer, better than mine. But the way I learned the GM wiring was thru installing my Grand Prix SC engine in my Grand am. It was quite nice to see GM uses the same colors for the same job in different years. Was great help in wiring things up correctly... Spending days looking at multiple schematics things started to come clear. ALSO i noticed on my wiring loom the 5v ref wire was seperated from the main bunch by some elec tape... keeping interfearace out i guess... so when I wrapped up my loom i just layed the grey wire in the middle of the elec tape and folded the tape around it... it was like zipping up the wire in a sense... :)

WSCowell at aol.com wrote:The 5 Volt rail is derived internally in the ECU for the logic circuitry inside, including the microprocessor.  A regulator chip accepts the vehicle's 12v (nominal) supply and "drops" it to 5v which is the maximum that normal logic devices, by long-established convention, tend to use.

The injector driver transistors would use a signal from the logic circuitry swinging from ground to +5volt and translate this to an "on/off" conductive path for the "ground return" from 12volt through the injectors to ground.  This is a simplification, but not much of one.  There are plenty of basic electronics textbooks and application notes out there if you scratch around a bit.  Enjoy!

Will
G0OPL

http://mail.yahoo.com
--0-1979479531-1103206445=:95778

<DIV>Will thats a awesome answer, better than mine. But the way I learned the GM wiring was thru installing my Grand Prix SC engine in my Grand am. It was quite nice to see GM uses the same colors for the same job in different years. Was great help in wiring things up correctly... Spending days looking at multiple schematics things started to come clear. ALSO i noticed on my wiring loom the 5v ref wire was seperated from the main bunch by some elec tape... keeping interfearace out i guess... so when I wrapped up my loom i just layed the grey wire in the middle of the elec tape and folded the tape around it... it was like zipping up the wire in a sense... :)<BR><BR><B><I>WSCowell at aol.com</I></B> wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE class=replbq style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid">
<META content="MSHTML 6.00.2900.2523" name=GENERATOR><FONT id=role_document face=Arial color=#000000 size=2>
<DIV>The 5 Volt rail is derived internally in the ECU for the logic circuitry inside, including the microprocessor.&nbsp; A regulator chip accepts the vehicle's 12v (nominal) supply and "drops" it to 5v which is the maximum that normal logic devices, by long-established convention, tend to use.&nbsp; </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>The injector driver transistors would use a signal from the logic circuitry swinging from ground to +5volt and translate this to an "on/off" conductive path for the "ground return" from 12volt through the injectors to ground.&nbsp; This is a simplification, but not much of one.&nbsp; There are plenty of basic electronics textbooks and application notes out there if you scratch around a bit.&nbsp; Enjoy!</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Will</DIV>
--0-1979479531-1103206445=:95778--