[Diy_efi] Help needed, Gold Wing 4 cylinder DIY EFI

Adam Wade espresso_doppio at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 17 23:36:18 GMT 2004

--- CMorEVB <cathyanded at netscape.ca> wrote:

> What is the
> advantage of using the speed density system?

MAF systems are nearly impossible to use on
motorcycles, due to the extremely small plenum volume
between the throttle(s) and the cylinders.  The
airflow change detected by a pre-plenum-mounted MAF
sensor would lag significantly behind the actual air
mass ingested by the engine after a rapid change in
throttle position.

Existing automotive speed density systems, while
generally being preferred for their more precise
cruise and idle airflow measurements, would need
substantial remapping to work with the motorcycle
arrangement of plenum before throttle(s).  The other
option would be an alpha-n system, which only measures
throttle position and engine speed (along with engine
and ambient air temp, and ambient pressure), but not
intake manifold pressure.  These are considered more
straightforward to map, but were rarely used on
production cars.

You would probably do well building a Megasquirt for
this application.  For throttle bodies, you may want
to see aboud adapting recent GSX-R750 throttle bodies,
which should flow enough air, and are now made in
cast-together pairs.  Using one paired throttle body
per engine side, you'd want to fab manifolds with
injector mounts, two sections of fuel rail, and a
linkage to open both throttle bodies at the same time
by the same amount.

=====
| 82 Honda CX500 Turbo (Cassandra)  90 Kwak Zephyr 550 (Daphne) |
|   Buy my M/C Fuel Inj. Handbook  -  http://tinyurl.com/2e8eu  |