[Diy_efi] Could someone please explain Wide

Scott Campbell scott at ppscc.net
Fri Dec 24 23:15:00 GMT 2004

All O2 sensors require heat to function properly.  Some narrowband O2
sensors include self-regulating heaters and some do not.  Those without
depend on heat from the exhaust to bring them up to operating temperature.

Since temperature is a key variable in the output response of an O2
sensor, a wideband sensor controller will carefully control the
temperature of the sensor.  If the sensor is located in a position where
the exhaust gas is hotter than the optimum sensor temperature, the output
of the sensor will be inaccurate.

Scott.