[Diy_efi] Braindead was: Re: Problem Reading '730 BINs...

Mike Frels mfrels at ix.netcom.com
Tue Feb 17 01:16:16 GMT 2004

Well the AXXD eprom that I ordered came in today. I left work 1/2 hour earl=
y and picked it up from the dealer just down the road. I then rushed home i=
n anticipation of solving this riddle. I ignored all those pesky letters fr=
om my creditors wanting their monthly money and spent 2-1/2 hours burried i=
n what turned out to be a an even bigger puzzle. When I read the eprom it l=
oaded and compared just fine. 'Great' I'm thinking, it must just have been =
those junkyard eproms were bad and the ebay one I bought must have a bad bi=
t or something. When I took the bin into GMEPRO, my software for editing, n=
one of the values are correct and then I notice the checksum is all zeros. =
?????... I go through various gyrations that I won't repeat in this post bu=
t I starting looking at the bins in my reader/burner software and this is w=
here I really started getting confused. The ones I had read in the other da=
y were totally wacky in the way they looked. The AXXD that I had just read =
and compared just fine, from 0000 through 7FFF was all ZEROs. ????... I cal=
med down by getting up and getting a glass of Ginger Ale. I wanted alcohol =
but I knew that would make things worse. When I came back to my PC I decide=
d to read the Needham's manual to see if there was some sort of setting I w=
as missing. After skimming over most of the basic setup stuff, section 1.11=
 on page eight caught my eye. The little notch in the eprom in the illustra=
tion was on the right towards the socket handle. I had been loading my epro=
ms with the notch to the left toward the red line. The only thing that comp=
ensated for how stupid I felt was the good feeling when I read the eproms(c=
orrectly oriented) and got good buffer data. Then taking them into my edito=
r and every value being just what it is supposed to be.=20

It's amazing how much this old mind can forget in the two years since the l=
ast time I read/edited/burned a chip for my car.=20

Sorry for taking up so much bandwidth but I just thought someone might be h=
appy to hear I got my problem fixed. Thanks to those who listened and repli=
ed to my previous questions.

Mike