[Diy_efi] Injector flow rate

David M. Ingebretsen dingebre at 3dphysics.net
Thu Jan 15 18:14:35 GMT 2004

Hi all.

I'm new to the list but not so new myself :) I've learned enough about EFI
systems and tuning now (esp. the 1227747 ECU) to be very dangerous.

I am using a TBI system based on the 4.3 liter, 1227747 ECU on my 1990 Wrangler
with 258 ci inline 6. The system is a Howell Engine system, but the CALPAK they
provided needs some help. Howell has been very responsive, but the turn around
time to send them data and then get a chip is painfully long. So, I'm learning
how and have acquired the tools to analyze, tune, and burn my own chips.

Here's what I've done:
1. Read the papers on the diy-efi site
2. purchased and read John Wilson's book from the CustomEFIS site (don't have a
password yet. The book refers to flow rates on his site but I can't get in
there yet)
3. been to every efi site I can find on the net
4. AND called my dealer...

No luck finding the info I'm searching which is:

I am trying to beter calculate the BPW constant. Howell programmed 185, GM uses
181 on the 4.3 liter and so I calculate 178 for my 4.2 liter after back
calculating the flow rate associated with the GM number. So, I am confused and
need to know the flow rate for the "yellow/blue" p/n 5235203 injector. The
sheet on the DIY site just has questions marks. I tried to back out what GM
used for the factory chip but am unsure how accurate the 4.3 liter claim is.
And the flow rate I get is 45.9 lb/hr, greater than the listed injector for the
5.0 liter (40 lb/hr)!?! Could this calculation be right?

Thanks for the help

So, does someone know the flow rate for these injectors, or a precise
measurement of the displacement for the 4.3 liter engine?
Bye,

David

David M. Ingebretsen, M.S., M.E.
Collision Forensics and Engineering, Inc.
2469 Fort Union Boulevard, Suite 114
Salt Lake City, Ut 84121

dingebre at 3dphysics.net
(801) 733-5458