[Diy_efi] About MAP sensing and it's jitter

Ludis Langens ludis at cruzers.com
Sat Jan 17 14:32:18 GMT 2004

"Tomas Sokorai Sch." wrote:

> Anybody knows how much (KPa, inHg, etc.) should the MAP signal jump at idle
> with a totally stock 1975 Ford 302?.

I was helping a neighbor fix his $85 Ford van.  The EFI 302 had one
dropped/loose exhaust valve seat.  At idle, the exhaust valve wouldn't
properly close.  This resulted in exhaust blowing back to the intake
during that cylinder's cam overlap time.

Ford uses a frequency out MAP, so I hooked a GM voltage out MAP into the
system.  I then watched the GM MAP's output on a scope.  Once per cam
revolution, the intake vacuum would drop to zero (or even be slightly
pressurized).  During the next seven cylinder events, the MAP would
ratchet down to a normal level.  I didn't note exactly how high the
fluctuations were during this time, but they weren't small.