[Diy_efi] Injector flow rate

David M. Ingebretsen dingebre at 3dphysics.net
Wed Jan 21 16:46:59 GMT 2004

> Hi,
>      Would you have any idea about injectors number & flow rate for GM's V8 5.7
> l engines around 1987, 1988, 1989 ?
>
> What should be the combination ? should both have the same flow rate ?
> what would be a typical injector number ?
>
> Thanks,
> Shad

Hi Shad,

I don't. Here's what I did to find the flow on my system.
Find a good stock "bin" file for your system
edit the stock bin and find the BPW value
then, use this formula:

BPW  = 1461.5 x (cyl vol / inj flow rate )

or for "inj flow"

inj flow = 1461.5 x (cyl vol / BPW)

where:
inj flow = injector flow in grams per second
cyl vol = the volume of -one- cylinder (5.7 / 8 for you)

you will need to convert the flow into the units you need.

If you buy the DIY book from the CustomEFIS site you get acess to the
registered user pages which has information on different injectors and their
flow rates. The DIY site has some information under the "papers" section if I
recall, but I've heard (and my experience) is some of the numbers may be wrong.
Bye,

David

David M. Ingebretsen, M.S., M.E.
Collision Forensics and Engineering, Inc.
2469 Fort Union Boulevard, Suite 114
Salt Lake City, Ut 84121

dingebre at 3dphysics.net
(801) 733-5458