[Diy_efi] Injector flow rate

Robert W Hughes rwhughe at oplink.net
Wed Jan 21 21:32:39 GMT 2004

> Thanks Robert. This ratio gets me the 178 BPW. When I programmed this, I got
> high BLM's across the board. I slowly increased it and am now running a 184
> which brackets 128 on my BLM's. Most are close to 128, but isn't there always
> room for tweaking? I think the root difference is that my fuel pressure may be
> a bit low, closer to 11 psi instead of 12.

You can put your working BPW back in the formula and back out the
injector ratio. Using this will give you what your original fuel
injector flow rate really was. I had this same problem, the claim was
made that the OEM injectors were 15.6lbs/hr, when I got everything set
right and checked they came out to be 14.6 lb/hr

> I don't. Here's what I did to find the flow on my system.
> Find a good stock "bin" file for your system
> edit the stock bin and find the BPW value
> then, use this formula:
>
> BPW  = 1461.5 x (cyl vol / inj flow rate )
>
> or for "inj flow"
>
> inj flow = 1461.5 x (cyl vol / BPW)
>
> where:
> inj flow = injector flow in grams per second
> cyl vol = the volume of -one- cylinder (5.7 / 8 for you)

I have seen several different constants used in this formula, if you
don't use the one the original programmers used, you will get this sort
of result. See first response above. Once you get a good working BPW and
a known flow rate you can go back through this formula and find the
constant used also.

--
Robert W. Hughes (Bob)
BackYard Engineering