[Diy_efi] going sequentail on a 2-stroke?

steve ravet sravet at arm.com
Mon Jan 26 16:27:20 GMT 2004

Alexei Pavlov wrote:

> No Steve, I think there wont be any problem with RPM.
> The ECU will think injecting into 2 different cylinders while
> in fact they will inject in the same one. It's the same as when
> we use a waste-spark ignition.

It's not exactly the same.  If the injector signals ever overlap, ie if
both outputs are driving the injector at the same time, then the
computer will only be injecting half the fuel that it intends to.

The time available for injecting is only half what it would be on a 4
stroke engine.  That's why I say RPM may be a problem.  Some/all of the
ECM code will be synchronized to engine position.  There will be an RPM
limit where that code can't finish executing before it needs to start
running again.  This application makes it worse because in order to use
alternate injector signals to fire the same injector, one wire for even
numbered revs and the other wire for odd numbered revs, the computer is
going to have to think the engine is rotating at twice it's real RPM.
The 2 stroke motor may be running easily at 3500 rpm while the computer
is doing all it can to keep up with what it thinks is a 4 stroke motor
at 7000 rpm.

--steve

--
Steve Ravet