[Diy_efi] Hydrogen Powered Vehicle

Bobby Yates Emory liberty1 at deltaforce.net
Mon Jul 19 03:17:42 GMT 2004

Bevan,

On the off chance you want to understand --

In the US, we are burdened with a government that interferes with our
lives much too much.  Several years ago, the government decided it
would be wonderful if cars got better gas mileage.  These idiots
thought that if they passed a law it would magically happen.
Unfortunately, Detroit is not able to repeal the laws of physics, just
because Washington wants them to.  They used several approaches -
technical changes such as roller camshafts to reduce friction,
specification changes such as lighter weight oils to reduce friction,
more advanced engineering such as fuel injection to increase
efficiency.  But a major way they did this was to reduce the weight of
cars.

Unfortunately, the laws of physics were not repealed.  Two thousand
additional people are killed each year on the roads because of these
lighter cars (if I remember the statistic).

Unfortunately, many American's preferences do not automatically align
with the whims of Washington.  Many Americans prefer an American car -
large, lots of space for passengers and their clutter, comfortable for
long trips on smooth roads, powerful.  If Detroit was now building
Japanese cars - smaller, less room, unit body, less protection in an
accident, lower power - Americans would try to find a solution.  They
did - pickup trucks and SUVs.

You probably don't realize that the most popular car in the US is a Ford
pickup truck.  No one in Europe drives a pickup for the fun of it, only
for work.  Here, many pickup trucks never carry anything heavier than
groceries  and maybe a bag of mulch on the weekend.

Pickup trucks and SUVs are the only American cars Washington will allow
Americans to buy.  They are large, heavy, with full frames, large
powerful engines in the front, driving the rear wheels.

If you ask the soccer mom why she is driving a gigantic SUV, she will
tell you she feels safer.

When Washington prevents people from living their lives the way they
want to, they find out you cannot do just one thing.  Every change you
try to force on people will have several other effects.

So the SUV craze is another problem brought to you by Washington.

Bobby