[Diy_efi] Hydrogen Powered Vehicle

Peter Jonasson jonasso at mcmaster.ca
Mon Jul 19 15:41:17 GMT 2004

Ouch!

When did this forum become so political?

Hydrogen?
If we all converted our cars, trucks, minivans and... yes... SUV's... to
Hydrogen (fuel cell to electric drive), we would have to triple our
Electrical power generation capacity in order to produce all that =
Hydrogen.
Hydrogen unfortunately is linked to cheap electrical power, and =
currently
there is no real cheap electrical power. Burning fossil fuels to =
generate
electricity to make Hydrogen to run cars just isn't currently practical,
even if it is more efficient. The nice thing is Hydrogen is clean.=20

Caution!
For those of you wanting to play with Hydrogen... remember the =
Hindenburg.
There is a reason we now have Helium filled balloons.

Political.
The fossil fuel infrastructure is worldwide, it is not about to =
disappear
because Hydrogen fuel is better or cleaner. There are still fortunes to =
be
made burning gas.

Diy_efi project:)
MY 87 Jeep (SUV) is a cottage toy, used to drive into town and to tow my
boat to the beach (all sand). I drive it only at the cottage and only =
with
the doors and top off in a vain attempt to reclaim my youth, when gas =
was
cheap (42 cents a Canadian Gallon) and air pollution was someone else's
problem. I am converting it to make it cleaner and more fuel efficient, =
but
I am not fooling myself into thinking this is what I will be driving all =
the
time.=20

Reality...
I drive a Minivan, would love a new Magnum Station Wagon (why did =
Detroit
ever stop building those).

Funny story... =20
A friend of mine in Toronto recently bought an SUV from a young couple. =
When
he went to engage the 4 wheel drive, the lever refused to budge. After
tearing the carpet and boot off he discovered the shifter was rusted in
place, apparently it had never been used. Question ... other than =
surviving
Armageddon, why would I ever need to buy a Hummer?

Regards... Peter=20
"There are 3 types of Engineers..."
"Those that can count... and those that can't"