[Diy_efi] Hydrogen Powered Vehicle

Greg Hermann bearbvd at mindspring.com
Mon Jul 19 18:49:04 GMT 2004

At 11:29 AM 7/19/04, Peter Jonasson wrote:

First of all, this list never was nor has been political. What it has,
although it's been rather quiet lately, is an extremely LOW and OUTSPOKEN
tolerance for blatant INCOMPETENCE and MISINFORMATION !!!

>Hydrogen?
>If we all converted our cars, trucks, minivans and... yes... SUV's... to
>Hydrogen (fuel cell to electric drive), we would have to triple our
>Electrical power generation capacity in order to produce all that Hydrogen.

At least.

>Hydrogen unfortunately is linked to cheap electrical power, and currently
>there is no real cheap electrical power. Burning fossil fuels to generate
>electricity to make Hydrogen to run cars just isn't currently practical,
>even if it is more efficient.

It doesn't even DREAM of being more efficient !!

And--the unspoken problem--the handling of hydrogen on an everyday basis
with non-exotic materials--is the 2 ton Kodiak bear hiding in the hydrogen
greenie-freaks' closet !!

 The nice thing is Hydrogen is clean.

Oh REALLY ?? Have we neglected the fact that, in some circumstances, water
vapor is approximately 2 to 3 HUNDRED times as powerful a greenhouse gas as
CO2 is ????

>Caution!
>For those of you wanting to play with Hydrogen... remember the Hindenburg.
>There is a reason we now have Helium filled balloons.

Perhaps it would be best for the rest of us if those who advocate its use
go ahead and play with it, and get some graphic, real world reminders of
this !!

>Political.
>The fossil fuel infrastructure is worldwide, it is not about to disappear
>because Hydrogen fuel is better or cleaner.

The PROBLEM is that it is NEITHER !!

>I drive a Minivan, would love a new Magnum Station Wagon (why did Detroit
>ever stop building those).

Because the government's _IDIOTIC_  'CAFE' regulations legislated them out
of existence !!

Question ... other than surviving
>Armageddon, why would I ever need to buy a Hummer?

Might be useful for running over a herd of greenie protesters---

The incompetence expressed in typical 'hydrogen economy' advocacy is so
blatantly obvious to anyone with a smattering of technical KNOWLEGE that I
have concluded that the proponents of such things MUST be aware that it
could never work, and are therefore motivated by a totally different
agenda--namely, to deprive most of us of our freedom of movement and action
!! Hence, my conclusion that it is well past time to begin calling such
advocates what they really are whenever they pop their heads up !!

Greg