[Diy_efi] Hydrogen Powered Vehicle

J Creech jcreech1 at olemac.net
Tue Jul 20 04:10:41 GMT 2004

>Caution!
>For those of you wanting to play with Hydrogen... remember the Hindenburg.
>There is a reason we now have Helium filled balloons.

Actually, I've read an "analysis" on the disaster - it wasn't the Hydrogen in the gasbags that
caused the near-instantaneous conflagration - rather it was the metal and graphite *paint* that was
sealing the gasbags (and gave the dirigible its silver coloration) that acted more along the lines
of rocket fuel or a gunpowder fuse.

Hydrogen, when properly handled and stored, is no more dangerous than Gasoline (THERE'S a volatile
substance for you!) or Natural Gas/LPG.

What's amazing to me is NOT the fact that you have to be specially licensed to handle Hydrogen, it's
the fact that ANY DUMB SHMUCK can go down to JimBob's Stop ~N~ Rob and get 5 gallons of
High-Explosives - no questions asked.......... My GOD! It's absolutely *incredible* that there
aren't more fueling accidents than there are. No Smoking. Stop Your Engine. No Sparks, Heat, Fire,
or Open Flames.................

-Scott C.