[Diy_efi] H2 Powered Vehicle

Kalmbach, Kevin D KalmbKD at NORTHAMERICA.Stortek.com
Thu Jul 22 19:16:13 GMT 2004

Love 'em. I actually worked for a while at the U of Maryland's Plasma and
Fusion energy research lab. Did some time on an SSBN too.

I like the Russian Tokomak model where they use the armature as a
transformer for the EM pulse and cycle the reactor similar to the way a 2
stroke engine works.  They got early stage break even in toroids, without
the pumping, but, as their economy tanked and the cold war ended a lot of
their research ended too. Too bad, they seemed to have some good science.

As you noted it uses He rather then H. The Helium is coolant, shield and
fuel.
H causes embritlement and is harder to handle. Helium has to be mined like
petroleum so it is "free" but H2 Fusion is very energetic.

There are a couple multi-stage fusions that can be initiated by using 2He5
instead of 2He4. Where the Helium goes to an unstable form of Beryllium then
that goes to an 8 or 16.  This is about where the energy per reaction drops
below break-even. There's also the option of using "Hydrogen" as Deuterium,
Tritium, or Lithium Deuteride (Basically, Lye made with Lithium and
Deuterium).

I saw a paper that suggested a method of using a tiered environment where
the excess Neutrons were used to make heavy water (D2O)in a shield tank or
steam generator, then the Deuterium could be pulled off via electrolysis and
burned in the core.

I grew up in the 60's and 70's, I think sometimes the mainstream is wrong.
Yes it seems radical but I think cheap energy and a clean environment are a
great way to make the country strong and stable so my kids can have the
opportunities I have.  Besides, the more Deer there are, the better I eat.
The greenies want us to stop burning fuel and shut down the reactors.
Ummmm, Duh! It's just unworkable.  Some people like to feel guilty and won't
stop boo-hooing to engineer a solution.

I live within 100 miles of 4 reactor sites.  I pay about $.035 per Kw/hour.
I'm honestly more worried about a dirty bomb up-wind in Washington DC than I
am about 3-mile island (same distance). TMI demonstrated that the way we do
things works.  Chernobyl showed how not to do things.

Sorry for being so off topic y'all.

Lower, Faster, Lower, Faster

Kevin K