[Diy_efi] ECU plugs...

Marcell Gal cell at x-dsl.hu
Sat Mar 27 11:37:42 GMT 2004

Hi Michael,

> I'm fooling around with a honda. Right now I'd like to get a standalone
> ignition controller built. I suppose I could use a megaspark but I just
> want to build my own.

do you absolutely want to start from ground, or maybe
better customizing and further developing (eg. ionsense?) a proven
advanced opensource design?

> Trouble is in order to run it piggyback I need some ECU connectors for
> a conversion harness. I can get some from junkyard cars but I'd like to
> have plugs to solder to a PC board.

Do you have photos of what you want to mate?
We'd been searching for nice connectors for the newly developed
open source ECM (the only one ever that has builtin LSU4-WBO2 controller),
and besides sky-expensive connectors we only found the EconoSealIII
(the most widely used ECM connector by automotive manufacturers):

http://www.squirrelpf.com/msavr/index.php?page=EconoSealIII

Unfortunately Tyco (=AMP) turned out to be the worst dealer we delt with
(while getting all ECM parts!)
* order quantities is all around the place from
100..117..195..500..5000..6000
* it took them 2 months from 2003. Nov to 2004. Jan to make an offer
according to our request
* didn't confirm the order in time as requested
* they didn't ship in time

But the quality of Econoseal III is really amazing. Really professional.

EC18 and EC36 solution can be bought in smaller quantitites at the same
place as the advanced
GenBoard v3.x ECM:
http://www.squirrelpf.com/msavr/index.php?page=GenBoardIamInterested

In the US it's said to be easier to get in small quantities (though more
expensive),
that's probably true for other AMP connectors too.

have fun,
   Marcell