[Diy_efi] Help, putting a 4.3 TBI on a buick 3.8L V6

Jim Kyser jimkyser at ieee.org
Tue Oct 19 14:40:53 GMT 2004

Chuck,

I haven't done this yet, but I will be doing it. The parts I've
collected so far are:

1. TBI unit from a 4.3
2. '747 computer from a 4.3
4. adapter plate to adapt TBI unit to Holey 4 barrel manifold
5. Holley Street Dominator manifold for Buick V6 (you could also use the
Edelbrock Performer manifold but I chose the Holley because it sit a
little lower and supports an EGR valve)
5. wiring harness for TBI (you can adapt one from an Astro van or
S10/S15 truck or buy one from one of the aftermarket vendors. I chose to
buy one from Painless Wiring)
6. sensors for the TBI system that aren't attached to the TBI unit (the
list here depends on how complete a system you're installing but
includes knock sensor, o2 sensor, vss, coolant sensor)

I will be installing this on a fresh 4.1 liter that's going in my 1946
Willys CJ-2A with a 4 speed and 4.27 gears. I plan to try using one of
the 4.3 liter, manual transmission ROM images as is, first. If that
doesn't perform well, I'll tweak it from there. If you get any more info
you can share, please do.

Jim