[Diy_efi] PW Controlled Sequential Water Injection - It RUNS!

Adam Wade espresso_doppio at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 21 18:41:54 GMT 2004

--- "Gianmarco Rizzo (BE/EAS)"
<gianmarco.rizzo at ericsson.com> wrote:

> I am a bit skeptical about water injection. only
> advantage seems to be on highly tuned turbocharged
> engines where water has a antiknock effect and helps
> keeping temperatures down.

On the high-horsepower radials on fighter aircraft
near the end of WW II, it was documented that waster
injection could give benefits along the lines of those
mentioned without forced-induction; generally they ran
higher compression ratios than they otherwise could
have without water injection.

I believe the one problem run into was that the engine
components ran into corrosion problems, and service
intervals for component replacement were greatly
shortened; this was considered worthwhile at the time,
as winning a dogfight was much more important than
having to replace pistons and rings once back on the
ground.  ;)

I wish I could remember the articles I'd read, as I
can't recollect all the details at this time.

> dont forget that injecting water you are detracting
> useful volume of oxygen and fuel to the inlet
> charge.

Well, if you can up the CR, that's a big help, and
charge density will probably increase a bit overall
due to the cooling effect of the water's low heat of
vaporization (yes, it expands and displaces more
volume, but I think there is advantage up to a certain
point of water volume by percentage).

=====
| 82 Honda CX500 Turbo (Cassandra)  90 Kwak Zephyr 550 (Daphne) |
|   Buy my M/C Fuel Inj. Handbook  -  http://tinyurl.com/2e8eu  |