[Diy_efi] Re: diy_efi Digest, Vol 13, Issue 19

kovacs laszlo titkoscim at maffia.hu
Thu Oct 21 18:52:18 GMT 2004

Hi,

<I might be wrong at any point of this letter, though I've been thinking
hard and I beleive what I say is correct :)>

what said about water injection is all true. It will _NOT_ improve
power. That 2000HP must be either:
- intercooler injection setup, but 2x mpg is just about impossible
- typo
- urban legend

another (useful) application of fuel injection, not told about before, is:
imagine an engine with extreme turbocharge (it can be supercharge, whatever)
when compressing the intake air, it will heat up (significantly!)
this will reduce the amount of O2 that gets into the combustion chamber,
and also might cause overheat
so it should be cooled down. That's what intercooler does, we all know
but under extreme pressures and air flows, that intercooler won't be enough
the idea is to spray water into the intake air. It will self-vaporise
and cool down the intake air a bit, allowing more O2 per cubic inch/cm
to get into the chambers
and also fine cooling the engine, since its vaporization will take heat
energy. Water has (relatively) high
I-dont-know-what-is-it-called-in-english (some kind of energy... the
amount needed to turn 1kg liquid water into gas), is quite cheap, so
it's fine
with this setup, you just install the water injector onto the
intercooler. Not sure if intake or out side, but it's intercooler
mounted, so it will still have some time to vaporize
but this will not help your mileage
and with an engine like this, you will not get anywhere near 2x mpg :)
but 2000HP is possible from that chevelle engine, I think
on the other hand, I know some ppl who were experimenting with this kind
of water injection, but they could not achieve good results (though
tried really hard, haha :)
and such setup is just fine for one race (not races), but not for daily
cruising at all...

oh and another thought:
if you think you can burn water in the engine, gaining energy, well,
that's false. At first, it will _USE_ some energy to vaporize:
2*H2O + {E} => 2*H2 + O2
then you have extra O2, which, however, will be used to burn that H2
into water again. This gives back the {E} you've used, but since you've
already used it, and there are losses, in fact you only loose energy
H2O won't directly burn into anything
and as far as I remember, 2*H2 + O2 will burn to water, nothing else...
so, injecting water might (and in fact does) have gooood side effects,
but will not give extra power :)

one question left is that whether you can use the O2 from that 2*H2 + O2
to burn the fuel, and not the H2
but this would leave you with a lean-out combustion again, I think

hm... pushing it even further:
It would be nice to have a method to turn H2O into H2+O2 without energy,
but currently it is not possible :) It would be even safe! Much more
safe than carrying H2 in your tank (no doubt this is the way automotive
industry is heading)... There is a strange device that is told to turn
H2O into H2 and O2, but: 1) it's not proven that it works 2) it's not
proven how it works 3) seeing the experiments, it produces H2 really
slowly, so it's not really for in-car use...

so guys, I suggest we keep on injecting that gasoline
it's even cheap in the states (beleive me, it is)
and let the big brothers play with that water :)
and improve HP with charging, MPG with using Honda engines :D you will
always have to choose between performance and economy, like you've had
to since the big bang...

tom

ps. and about the fuel container... If you're off-roading, go for a
bigger tank. No VW parts, and no 1/8 L container, won't help much in big
trouble :)
1L tank sounds fine, but I doubt that's why VW used it, if used at all...
but still, I might be able to get you the fuel lining diagram for it, if
you give me the part number (darn)
but here's a link you can also use:
www.elcats.ru
it's russian, but who knows... has all the audi parts catalogue pictures...