[Diy_efi] PW Controlled Sequential Water Injection - It RUNS!

Adam Wade espresso_doppio at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 21 18:56:07 GMT 2004

--- "Gianmarco Rizzo (BE/EAS)"
<gianmarco.rizzo at ericsson.com> wrote:

> I am not an engineer, so i might be talking crap
> here, but according to what i have been reading
> around, it should be possible to run pretty lean A/F
> with just an half decent engine management, and
> without the complication of water injection.

At WOT under load?  Not without detonation, IME.

> aircrafts engines are routinely run at lean of peak
> for hours without any problem whatsoever, as long as
> top power is not required.

Right.  That's the issue there.  In fact, I have a
number of wonderful articles about running LoP, which
is something that many pilots are taught will blow up
their engines.  John Deakin is a wise man.  :)

> knocking at cruise can be easily avoided with a
> proper ignition map, and i doubt it is necessary to
> inject a fuel substitute to achieve MPG improvement.

EGR was done mainly for emissions reasons; cruise
economy was just an added benefit.

If you can control your coolant temperature very
tightly, then you can run right to the edge of
detonation with very careful fuel and spark maps.  If
you can't, then you will need some help, or you will
have to run conservative spark/fueling tables to keep
you out of the "danger" zone.  Water injection is a
great way to accomplish a lot of things with minimum
difficulty; that's why turbos use it so often.  It can
actually widen the "workable" range of fueling and
spark timing a fairly large amount when done right.

And please amend my last post to read "very HIGH heat
of vaporization" of water, which I am sure many of you
will point out to me I wrote incorrectly.  :)

=====
| 82 Honda CX500 Turbo (Cassandra)  90 Kwak Zephyr 550 (Daphne) |
|   Buy my M/C Fuel Inj. Handbook  -  http://tinyurl.com/2e8eu  |