[Diy_efi] Exhaust gas temp

sc7500 sc7500
Mon Apr 4 03:34:35 UTC 2005

 > I've got a question about header coatings for you, since you seem to
be in the know.
 > Is it worth the trouble to coat the inside of the header?
 > don't think I've ever seen any numbers comparing coated
inside/outside to outside coated only.

Hello Chris;

Yes, internal coating completes the suite. Remember what is being done -
in essence, we're sealing the metal tubing from the elements in a
material that also acts as a thermal barrier.

Headers rust from the inside out; if you don't coat them internally,
they will deteriorate as if they were not coated at all. but at a 50%
slower rate. They always die from within...

As for power production, there are gains to be made coating inside and
out. In dyno tests with 3 sets of identical Sanderson Headers [this was
done in 1996, before they started coating their own pipes in house] on a
[what else ?] mild Small Block Chevy,  we found the following:

- Uncoated headers - external temp: 1005* F 2" down from the exhaust
ports, base HP - 210 @ 4500 RPM / Torque 285 @ 3250
- External coating only - Ex Temp 800* F (same location) , HP - 221 /
Torque 302
- Internal / External - Temp @ 675* F, HP 228 / Torque 308

So - seems it doesn't hurt to do inside and out. Underhood temps can
drop nearly 200*, making for cooler intake air; damage from corrosion
will be cut by a factor of 3 to 10 times; and a smooth internal ceramic
coating makes for a much hotter exhaust pulse, which virtually
guarantees better vacuum / scavenge on overlap.

Now don't get all excited about having a pro coater on the board - let
me explain that I retired in 2003 to heal up from several cancer
surgeries. Altho I no longer operate a coating service for the general
public, I _do_ maintain a small R&D lab here at the farm, and I sell our
materials to those who feel they have the proper equipment and training
to do their own work. If anyone has any questions regarding the process
or materials, please visit our website at <www.sonic.net/~sc7500>, and
then contact me for more info.

Tell you the truth ? Coating isn't as hard as it looks. The challenge is
in finding and using the correct application equipment., and the right
ceramic for the particular job.

Best to all
--
B.T. Corneto